Thursday, June 4, 2009

Pocastination is your friend



Hello everyone,

I’m at school, I’ve just had lunch, and I’m taking a bit of time out. Jess and I work hard at school, but I don’t just don’t have the energy today – I need a time out and I am taking one (at least for a little while).


I often wonder how hard the other NETs (native English teachers) work at school. As a group we are largely left to our own devices, and taking into account how much time some people spend on facebook etc, it is unlikely that many NETs are working to reach their full potential.


I have been told that Koreans are aware that many NETs do not put in the effort that is expected of them, and that some Koreans resent us a group. It is disappointing that so many foreigners do not take work their jobs seriously, and I symphathise with frustrated Koreans, but on the other hand being given free reign is an invitation, to some, to do as little as possible.


You know eight months into my first year in Korea and I’m still amazed at how little direction I am given. I can do almost anything. I have tried many ideas in class, some have bombed and others have worked well, but I have not once been directed to substantially change a class.


It’s easy to land a job in Korea, having a foreigner at your school or hogwan (private academy) is definitely in vogue. The ease of coming here and Korea’s location seems to attract two personality types: First there are the loafers, they mess around on facebook and the week is spent planning how to outdo last weekend; and then, in fewer numbers, there are the strongly independent and hard working individuals. While the loafers have only one agenda, to party, ‘the independents’ are here for any number of reasons – save money, travel, cultural exchange etc.


My good news for the moment is that Jess and I went out for dinner with my co-teachers on Tuesday evening. Apart from scoring a good free meal it provided a chance to speak frankly about the misunderstandings and ill feelings that arose out of our home leave request. It was a very positive experience and I came away feeling a lot happier. We can move forwards once again.


So Jess and I are planning our home leave carefully. It’s a real juggling act trying to fit in what we want while still trying to spend as much of the holiday together as possible. I’m so excited to be coming home. Korea is an adventure, and at times a whirl wind of emotions, and I am looking forwards to finding myself in familiar surroundings once again.


Lastly I am very pleased to see the hits on my blog slowly increasing, please feel free to comment on anything I post. If you have trouble commenting please let me know, and finally thanks to all those who read my blog and special thanks to those few of you who do comment. (Special special thanks must go to Eebee, my main ‘commenter’)

2 comments: