Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Trans-Manchurian



I recently mentioned the possibility of doing the trans-Siberian, or more accurately the trans-Manchurian as I want to travel from Beijing, next summer in an email home.


Only now I am not so certain. It’s not that sitting in a train for days on end with mates consuming large amounts of coffee while reading Russian literature between consuming copious amounts of vodka is not appealing. It’s just that the summer holidays may prove too short to fully take in the adventure. I have been inquisitive about Russia and Siberia for several years now, and I don’t want to rush the adventure.


So now I’m thinking why not scrap the summer hols idea and travel to Moscow at more leisurely rate after the end of my contract. Only I’m not content to end my journey in Moscow, I would like to travel on down to Istanbul. There’s so much of eastern Europe to discover, and Istanbul would prove an excellent place to end the journey.


The trip from Beijing would take me through China, through the Gobi desert and Mongolia up to lake Baykal, and from there I would start the westward journey to Moscow which includes taking in the Ural mountains. Moscow would end the trans-Manchurian journey, but Moscow is also the starting point of my east European, or rather former Soviet bloc, adventure. After leaving Moscow I would cross the Ukraine, Moldova, Bulgaria and fair amount of Turkey before arriving at Istanbul.


Imagine the culinary adventure to be had while travelling 9,621km, my mouth waters at the thought.


It’s nice to dream.


Hey anyone want to quit their job and adventure with me?


Now to find a starting point, hm - Lonely Planet here we come. Done, it’s ordered!



2 comments:

  1. I would gladly join you if you flipped that line over downwards to go through India, Iran, Iraq and Arabia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would also make an awesome trip. Unfortunately my pot of gold is limited, which means having to make tough choices. In the end I would prefer to see the former communist bloc.

    I would especially like to visit Iraq and really get to grips with what life is like in the country, it's history and it's culture. Unfortunately the gun toting US and it's gungho policies leave a me a little weary.

    I don't want to find myself having to explain to anyone, especially people who don't speak much English, that I am not a US citizen. I'm often told that I speak with a hint of a British accent, I doubt this would help much either.

    ReplyDelete